Monday, October 24, 2011

Traffic Patterns

I woke up late on Friday (aka consciously/subconsciously chose to hit snooze way too many times).  In waking up late I left for work about 30-45 minutes later than usual.  I noticed several things during this shift in my morning commute.  Traffic was much worse on Chamblee Dunwoody because the high school starts at around 8 AM so I was stuck behind car rider parents/kids and a slew of school buses.  The stoplight for entering the highway was turned on so entering the highway on the ramp took longer than usual.  My normal XM stations have different programming as the morning goes on which includes more talking than I care for on my morning drive.  My favorite parking space wasn’t available so I had to settle for my second choice.  Since I was already running late I didn’t have time for my weekly Starbucks fix, I try to limit myself to only Fridays as a reward for surviving the work week.
These things may seem mundane but these things completely changed my Friday morning from my normal routine.  In these encounters it reminded me a lot of friendships/relationships.  At times in your life you are perfectly in sync with some friends and you are able to see them all the time and it is glorious.  At other times in life the rhythm of your lives gets a little out of sync with one another and you feel more distant.  It is easy to blame yourself or your friend for the change but what if it is as simple as the issue of what time you leave for work.  The stage, location, and priorities in your life can cause everything to have an entirely different flow and feel to it.  So maybe it is time that we stopped blaming ourselves or others and started understanding the impact of our life patterns and simply do our best to work with/around those life changes. Instead of expecting our relationships to remain static even when our lives do not, shouldn’t we instead expect our friendships/relationships to be dynamic?  That way we are flexible enough to leave room for things to grow and change as we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment