Saturday, February 12, 2011

"Gravity" by Sara Bareilles

I am moved by this song.  I first heard it during a performance on SYTYCD.  Ever since then I have listened to it regularly and it has such a heavy and genuine emotional quality.  I think we have all been in a relationship where we lost ourselves at least a little in order to stay with someone we loved.  She is actually singing about someone who was involved in domestic abuse.  I think the words show her struggle working through someone who is controlling her physically and verbally.  Rachel’s class is my favorite but I must say that this piece was one of my favorites from her class.  She combined moments of passively going through the motions like a zombie with intense outbursts.  The intensity of the outbursts are the moments when she realizes that she is prisoner and wants desperately to break free.  Here is a video of the piece from class.  I hope you guys enjoy watching it even a tenth of as much as I enjoyed dancing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment