Monday, December 19, 2011

The Power of Words

This summer I attended Big Stuf camps as I mentioned in a previous blog entry.  Each day at camp the leaders had a chance to meet for an hour with speakers from the Orange Leaders group.  We watched a video that really struck a note with me.  Those of you who know me know that I cry pretty easily but this video really touched my heart.  In a very subtle way it hints at the issues with have in communicating both in life and in ministry.  This video is less than 2 minutes long but manages to sum up the fact that the words that we choose to use are so significant.  I think we get so focused on getting our point across with other people that we often forget that the words we choose matter.  If our message is not delivered in a meaningful way then the impact will be much smaller, if we carefully choose our words we can have a much stronger impact. 
I think the other key is that the first sign was focused on the blind man and most of the people walking by couldn’t relate to being blind and therefore they could easily turn their back on this man.  When the girl changed it to terms that helped people understand how much harder life was for this man then people were compelled to help.  I think words have the power to change the world and we should all choose our words carefully to increase our impact and improve our communications with others.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment