Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A Precious Hour

I read about this concept on the Rands in Repose blog.  The blog entry can be read here http://www.randsinrepose.com/archives/2012/02/29/a_precious_hour.html.  The first part of the article that talks about being in the zone versus being in the faux zone is particularly relevant in my occupation.  It was fascinating to read his analysis on being busy and the juxtaposition with being production, I often feel the two are highly correlated but sometimes that just me giving in to the seduction of being busy. 

This concept really got me thinking about the way I use my time each day.  The concept is to carve out one hour each day for building something.  I use the word carve because in order to make room for this something else must be scaled back since we are all confined to the same 24 hour day.  This could be used to build a relationship, build a skill set, build a knowledge base, build a healthier lifestyle, or actually building something (like a blog/ website/ product etc).   Since I am already taking on my book challenge I want to incorporate it into the precious hour concept.  Here are some of my initial thoughts on how to approach this concept and apply it in my own life.  In order to increase my chances of success I’m going to allow myself to break my precious hour into two semiprecious half hours if needed.
Precious Hour Activities:
·         Blogging
·         Reading
·         Exercising
·         Organizing/Cleaning
·         Writing
·         Crafts (painting, scrapbooking, making bath products, etc)
Reduce Time Spent on these Activities:
·         Watching TV/ Netflix/ Hulu+
·         Surfing Online (including things like Facebook and Pinterest)

No comments:

Post a Comment