Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Diva Dash!

I did it; I completed my first 5k!  The weather was terrible; it was in the 40’s and the entire course was muddy but I persevered and finished the race.  The race was a 3.1 mile course including 10 obstacles.  The obstacles were the most fun part to me, it keep things interesting and broke up the running into manageable chunks.  Joanna and I completed in 54 minutes which isn't too shabby although without all the mud I think we could have shaved off at least 10 minutes on our time.  I must say that throughout all the training, preparation, and the race I have not yet cultivated a love of running but I do feel a tremendous sense of accomplishment by seeing it through the finish.  I loved the feeling of completing the race so I may try and do a 5k a couple times a year just to keep me motivated to keep up the cardio training.  Next time I am signing up for a race that is run on paved roads, no more mud runs for me!

Obstacles: shoulder height wall to scale, bungee web to navigate through, massive tire pile to climb, swinging steps, hurdles, massive pile of hay bales to climb, hip height maze to crawl through, rope wall, monkey bars, truck tires with swinging balls for interference, and the last obstacle was wading/running through a river to get to the finish line

One of the best feelings was that my husband and two friends came out to cheer us on.  Seeing them at the finish line filled my exhausted heart with joy.  Here are some of my favorite pictures from the race.  Once I get my copies of the official race pictures I’ll add them as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment