Wednesday, June 5, 2013

A House with Four Rooms

Another post inspired by one of Gretchen Rubin’s recent blog posts.  She posted this quote:

“There is an Indian proverb or axiom that says that everyone is a house with four rooms, a physical, a mental, an emotional and a spiritual. Most of us tend to live in one room most of the time but, unless we go into every room every day, even if only to keep it aired, we are not a complete person.”

–Rumer Godden, A House with Four Rooms


Often times I read her blog and immediately think of ways I should improve an aspect of my life.  This was a nice reprieve since I feel like this is something I am currently doing well.  While I may not enter all four room every day, I do have a least one activity each week that focuses on each of these areas. 
  • Physical – working out and focusing on healthier eating (multiple times a week)
  • Mental – challenging myself at work, reading, blogging, etc.
  • Emotional – I often discover a lot about my emotional state in conversations with my closest friends and family (my husband, best friend, parents, etc.).  I have made it a point to make time for these conversations on a weekly basis.
  • Spiritual – church service, mentoring the student youth group, prayer

No comments:

Post a Comment