Thursday, May 22, 2014

Expedition Everest

I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to finally blog about our big race from early May!  I never thought I would get into running but slowly over the last year and a half I have taken an interest.  I still don’t love it by any means but I do feel great after running and I love doing 5k’s with friends.  My friend Larissa mentioned that Disney had a 5k and we decided to go for it!  The best part is we talked the guys into running the race with us as well.  It was so much to share in the training process and the race itself with Kyle.  It was also such a fun break to get to spend a few days down at Disney!

The weather was pretty terrible the whole trip but we still had a blast and made the best of every moment of the trip!  We managed to visit Animal Kingdom, Epcot, and Hollywood Studios in our whirlwind weekend trip.  The rain was a bummer but it also meant the parks weren’t very crowded and lines were short! 

It was a night race which was a new experience for me.  I really liked the later start time.  The weather was cool and it didn’t require waking up crazy early in the morning.  I was worried about feeling tired or about how my meals that day would affect how I felt while running but it wasn’t an issue at all!  I ran my first obstacle 5k in 45 minutes in March of last year.  I had worked my way down to 39 minutes in my races in March and April.  I really wanted to break 36 minutes in Orlando.  I was so thrilled when I saw my time was 35:51.  I had done it with only 9 seconds to spare! 


The best part was watching Kyle cross the finish line.  I was so unbelievably proud of him!  He had no interest in running but signed up so we could go together.  At the end of the race and scavenger hunt we each got a medal and it was an awesome feeling.  After the race we took lots of fun pictures with our medals (which are AWESOME) and then we got to play in Animal Kingdom for the after party.  Disney races are so well run and it was such a positive experience.  I sincerely hope we get the chance to go again in future years!









No comments:

Post a Comment