Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Hip-Hopgraphy

A friend of mine from college teaches a hip hop class at Gotta Dance Atlanta.  I usually stick to jazz, contemporary, or lyrical classes but I decided to spend my Tuesday night doing hip hop instead.  Monte is an amazing dancer.  He started dancing in college and was a natural at it.  He has managed to become an up and coming Atlanta choreographer and a fantastic teacher.  In his class there are students as well as professional hip hop dancers so I just aim to have fun, avoid embarrassing myself too badly, and to broaden my horizons.  I also love watching the other dancers in his class because some of them are absolutely amazing at what they do.
Last night we learned Part 1 and Part 2 of Nikki Minaj’s “Itty Bitty Piggy.”  My friend Joanna and I would have been much better off just learning Part 1 but we both did our best and made it through the class.  I have decided that while it is fun to listen to Nikki rap quickly in my car it is must harder when trying to keep up with that speed in hip hop choreography.  I had a good time though and got a great workout.  I couldn’t handle going to that class every week but every now and again it is a fun way to mix things up and remind myself why I normally stick to jazz, lyrical, and contemporary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment