Thursday, December 22, 2011

Enough

In Ignition last week we talked about the concept of enough.  Here is the formal definition:

Enough: occurring in such quantity, quality, or scope as to fully meet demands, needs, or expectations (enough food for everyone)

The point of the message was questioning how we decide when we have enough of something.  The challenge issued to everyone listening was to lower the bar in our lives regarding what we consider to be enough for us as individuals.  If we lower our expectations about what is enough then we increase our odds of finding peace and joy. 

One of the key thoughts it brought to mind was how differently I define enough based on the situation.  The example is when we donate to charities we often set enough very low.  I gave one jacket to goodwill or three pairs of shoes and I think with pride that I helped do my part and that it is enough.  Yet when I go to Old Navy I see a new jacket and I think to myself well I only have 3 jackets at home so I could use one more.   I think we all are a little off balance on our definitions of enough in at least one area of our lives.  I don’t have a black and white answer here but I can guarantee that it is worth thinking about.  I know I will struggle this but I am hoping to raise my enough bar when it comes to giving to others and lower the enough bar that I have set for myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment