Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sea Turtles

On our second full day in Maui we went on a snorkeling and sailing expedition with Trilogy tours.  I have not spent much time in my life on boats but I absolutely loved feeling the ocean breeze and being out at sea.  We arrived at our snorkel location and I was on a mission, I was determined to see a Hawaiian Green Sea Turtle.  I grew up loving turtles and seeing the movie Finding Nemo made it 100% clear to me that at some point in life I needed to see a sea turtle in person. 

I hate to admit this but early in my excitement about the trip I realized that my Hawaiian experience would not feel complete without seeing one of the gentle giants.  I felt like a kid on Christmas as I swam around the various coral.  For the first 15 or 20 minutes I was unsuccessful in my search.  Then a neighboring snorkeler came up for air and pointed Kyle and I in the right direction. 

My heart rate picked up a little bit and then I saw them.  There were four beautiful sea turtles on the ocean floor.  They were having their shells cleaned by small fish and I was mesmerized.  Then much to my delight one started swimming up for air and he kept swimming closer and closer to me.  As he got closer I could really appreciate the detail in his color and pattern.  They have beautiful patterns on their necks and heads.  Our crew told us each turtle has its own design, much like our fingerprints.  I had an underwater camera and everyone laughed a little because I had a photo session with the turtle that swam by me.  It was such an incredible experience to see them in their natural habitat!  Here are a few pictures from our underwater camera, excuse the incorrect date I didn’t realize it was set to 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment