Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sky Gym – Aerial Silks Atlanta

I have been trying to broaden my horizons and try all sorts of new things over the last year.  It was sparked by my 30 before 30 list but has really expanded past that since lots of the new things I’m trying aren’t part of the list.  I think of it as a sign that anything is possible if you open your mind and heart.  Granted none of these new things have translated into life changing discoveries or revelations but it has been fun and I think I am a more content and well rounded person as a result. 

This past weekend was another one of my new adventures.  I grew up fascinated by the whimsical beauty and unique talents in cirque de soleil.  These artists seem to defy natural physics and move with such grace, ease, and disgusting amounts of flexibility.  I have always wanted to try aerial dancing.  I have always been talented at dancing on the ground so I wanted to try it the next level, literally.  I talked my friend Joanna into going with me and the best part was she was equally as nervous and excited as I was. 

We arrive at the Wall Crawler Rock Club and some of their more advanced students are practicing.  They were scaling the silks like graceful spider monkeys, wrapping the fabric carefully around their limbs, and then cascading down the silks in beautiful patterns from 25 feet up.  The nerves were in full force and I was hoping they were serious about the word introductory in the class title. 

We started the class with stretching and information about aerial dancing and the silks.  Then the fun started!  The class was learning a series of poses and movements that gradually advanced.  We primarily used a large knot in the silks as a base to add stability, known as a hammock.  The instructors were extremely helpful and we ended up having a lot of fun!  The only downside is that the class was 3 days ago and it still feel like someone shredded by abdominal muscles with a switchblade.  It was a fantastic workout and I must be a glutton for punishment since I signed up for the next class in a few weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment