Sunday, March 4, 2012

Hitting the Books (Again)

In an attempt to increase our personal reading, Kyle and I have decided to start visiting our local public library every few weeks to help expand our reading repertoire.  The beauty of a library book is that you can browse the shelves leisurely and take home anything that catches your eye.  You get to keep it for three weeks and then it goes back to find a new reader. We are both big fans of owning books, but that gets down right expensive and we have noticed that it can really limit what we choose to read since when purchasing books we tend to stick to the same authors and genres.  We are also running out of shelf space in the loft, this just further motivates us to have a home library one day. 
My goal for this endeavor is to average reading at least one book a week for at least a year.  I’m hoping that during this next year I will reignite my passion for pleasure reading and rebuild my old habits of devouring books.  When I was kid I read about 2 to 5 books a week for fun outside of class work and I loved escaping into different worlds or characters.  It is certainly more stimulating than TV, which works well since we’ve been free of cable television for about a month now.
I’m sure I’ll blog about some of my favorites as we go but at the end of the one year period I’ll post an update with the reading list and something that I took away from reading each book.  Some of the findings will be serious and some will be silly but I am really excited about this project.
I grabbed five books to start: The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin, Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates, Memory Wall by Anthony Doerr, The Last Seven Months of Anne Frank by Willy Lindwer, and Never Hit a Jellyfish with a Spade by Guy Browning

1 comment: