Sunday, July 15, 2012

BigStuf 2012


We are in a big transitional period at our church and leading up to camp I kept trying to get excited but I kept thinking through the changes and difficulties.  I was sad that some of our previous leaders wouldn’t be there and I was worried about taking such a large group without a youth pastor.  Finally about a week prior to the trip I started turning my attitude around, mainly because the excitement from all of the kids was contagious.  As we started driving the further I got away from home the more I focused on what a great week it was going to be for the kids and even for us as leaders.

The theme this year was Questions, Quotes, and Camels.  It was an odd theme in my opinion but camp was incredible again this year.  The speakers gave very powerful messages and our group really bonded together.  My favorite part was the worship music; it is overwhelming and melts away all the stress and drama.  Our church also won the sand castle building contest!  We made a living sand castle and made a camel with one of our students Josh as the camel head and we built the rest of the sand castle around him.  During judging he spit water out his mouth and shared facts about camels, it was pretty awesome!

It was a great week for me personally to refocus and remember all the things I have to be thankful for.  On the last night we all meet as a church group and talk about our week and it is one of my favorite parts of the trip.  The kids share their experiences from the week and talk about what God is doing in their hearts and lives.  It is such a wonderful reminder that all the sleep deprivation, camp food, and craziness of the week is absolutely worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment