Saturday, December 29, 2012

2013 Goals

I always debate whether to do this but I have a theory that even if you don’t fully realize your goals that simply having them stretches you to challenge yourself.  I have not always met the resolutions I set for myself but I’m always a better person for having pushed myself to meet them and end up further ahead than I would have otherwise.  One thing I learned from previous years is that some of the keys to success are to be more specific and to evaluate my progress with more regularity.  With that said here are a few of my ambitions for the coming year:
  • Increase my consideration for others by being more thoughtful towards loved ones and through random acts of kindness
  • Continue the Book a Week Challenge
  • Healthier Lifestyle – eat out less, drink less soda, exercise at least 2-3 times per week, and focus meals around a protein and vegetables
  • Finally Complete the 5k on my 30 before 30 List – I will be running in the Diva Dash with my friend Joanna in late February
  • Other 30 before 30 Items I’d like to accomplish this year – mountain cabin rental, finish the Harry Potter series, sushi making class, floral arrangement class, and 10 year high school reunion
  • Travel – we currently have plans to go to Disney in January and to Switzerland for Spring Break! I’d also like to plan a few mini trips throughout the year
  • Renew Our Vows for Our 5th Anniversary in June
  • Research Graduate Schools and Begin Studying for the GMAT

I’ll end this post with a comparison of my adherence to my 2012 goals:

I only had two primary goals for 2012.  The first was to drop cable which we did and we have been living free of cable TV mostly happily for 10 months now.  It was an adjustment at first but we use Netflix or Hulu+ when we want to watch something and use a digital receiver for basic channels.  It has helped us decrease our time spent each week parked in front of the TV.  This has opened up more time for reading, quality time together, and time with friends.  For this goal I say we exceeded with flying colors!

The second goal I set for myself in 2012 was to live a healthier lifestyle.  On this goal I would give myself a mixed review.  I went through waves throughout the year.  Ultimately at the end of the year I am down a few pounds from last year but my effort towards healthy living was in spurts and not a true permanent change to my habits.  One thing I learned was to be more specific so I can measure my progress more concretely.  So instead of saying being healthier this year I have divided my 2013 goal into 4 sub points and hope that this will help me succeed.  Kyle has also expressed an interest in these sub goals so I think having him on board will help keep me accountable and motivated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment