Monday, April 1, 2013

Humbling


When I was younger I used to have more of a sense that I was invincible.  It doesn't mean I didn't have bad days but in almost every situation I saw potential and opportunities.  I was not yet accustomed to facing as many obstacles and grappling with the reality of situations.  In some ways I long for the days when things were so simple.  I am a planner through and through; I like to map and remap things until I feel content that I have explored the options.  On the other hand I am humbled by my more mature perspective.  Kyle and I have been very fortunate in our lives so far.  We have hit snags and road bumps just like anyone else but we have always landed on our feet.  God has reminded me in a lot of regards lately that I can plan all I want but some things are just up to Him. 

This has been especially evident as we begin to think of the next steps in our life.  I cannot know for sure where the housing market will be in 6 months or 12 months or 2 years.  We cannot know for sure how long Kyle’s doctoral program will take, we can estimate but cannot predict what obstacles or opportunities may present themselves.  I cannot guarantee that I will have a job with my current company a year or two from now.  The best we can do is make smart choices and plan for the situation we think is the right fit for us but ultimately there are no guarantees.  I've been pushing myself lately and praying about my ability to find more joy in the detours of life.  I want to find a better balance in perspective.  To transition my thinking to be more at peace with the fact that a plan is simply that and that changes to the plan are not faults but simply scenic routes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment