Monday, December 30, 2013

2013: Year In Review

This year has been wonderful!  I have been overwhelmed by the amount of opportunities and blessings we have had in our lives this year.  Sometimes I worry that getting older means less exciting things but this year definitely proved me wrong.  I think this year was proof that hard work and being thankful for the people in your life is what really matters and can pay off big time! 

The two lessons I was reminded of regularly throughout the course of this year were:

“To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness.” – Mary Stuart

“For most of life, nothing wonderful happens. If you don’t enjoy getting up and working and finishing your work and sitting down to a meal with family or friends, then the chances are you’re not going to be very happy. If someone bases his/her happiness on major events like a great job, huge amounts of money, a flawlessly happy marriage or a trip to Paris, that person isn’t going to be happy much of the time.  If, on the other hand, happiness depends on a good breakfast, flowers in the yard, a drink or a nap, then we are more likely to live with quite a bit of happiness.” - Andy Rooney

Some of my favorite things that happened this year:
  • I ran my first 5k
  • We went to Switzerland to visit friends and had an AMAZING trip
  • My best friend announced that she was expecting a baby
  • Kyle started his doctoral program, I’m so unbelievably proud of him!
  • We got a new youth pastor for Ignition and it has been such a blessing for the students and the leaders
  • I got to go to BigStuf for the 5th year in a row and spend a week with some awesome high school students
  • We celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary
  • We made our 5th annual trek to 12 Mile, IN to visit Kyle’s mom with our biggest group of friends yet
  • Kim & Austin announced that they are expecting a bundle of joy as well - a baby boy they will name Owen Jacob who will make his debut in April 2014
  • Blair & Jenna got engaged
  • I got to help host a baby shower for my best friend
  • Kyle got to go to Kansas to see his cousin David marry the woman of his dreams Katie
  • I got to visit Alyssa in Houston twice this year
  • Larissa and I went to Montreal for a girls weekend
  • I wrapped up my term as president of our HOA, I learned a lot but I am so thankful for the freedom of being done with my term
  • Kyle went to Boston to present at a national conference with some of his professors
  • We got to spend Thanksgiving in Metter and Savannah and this year Deborah got to go with us!
  • 12/17/2013: My best friend became a mommy! Emma Caroline was born weighing 4 pounds and 12 ounces.
  • We spent the week of Christmas surrounded by the people we love and had a wonderful celebrating our many blessings with others.



No comments:

Post a Comment