Friday, January 3, 2014

2014: Annual Resolutions Post

I know resolutions can be hokey but I believe that even if you don’t fully realize your goals that simply having them stretches you to challenge yourself. I have not always met the resolutions I set for myself but I’m always a better person for having pushed myself to meet them and end up further ahead than I would have otherwise. One thing I learned from previous years is that some of the keys to success are to be more specific and to evaluate my progress with more regularity. With that said here are a few of my ambitions for the coming year: 

  • HEALTH: Be more active - run at least 3 different 5k races. I have currently signed up for two already. The first will be a 5k race at our church on March 22nd. The second is a Disney race called Expedition Everest on May 3rd. The most exciting part about these races is that Kyle has agreed to run them with me. I am already enjoying training a lot more because we are both working together for the same goal.
  • NUTRITION: Cooking light – I love cooking! I want to diversify my repertoire of recipes. I’d like to focus on food that is lighter but still tastes great. One of the sources I’m using for new recipes is “It’s All Good” the cookbook by Gwyneth Paltrow. I’d also like to reduce our processed food intake. I had a lot of stomach issues in 2013 and I think more balanced nutrition is a big key to the solution to some of my issues.
  • ADVENTURE: 30 before 30 Checklist – I have 11 items remaining on my list. My goal for this year is to complete 9 of them. I have mapped out which month I plan to complete each of the 9 items and I feel confident I can accomplish those items.
  • PERSONAL GROWTH: Find a new passion/hobby – Kyle loves his doctoral program and it’s keeping him pretty busy. I’m so proud of him but it’s brought to light that I feel like I need something outside of work that I am passionate about. I have always admired photography and my plan for this year is to buy an SLR camera and learn how to use it. A friend of mine owns a company that teaches classes and my first class is scheduled for Sunday February 9th. He recommended that I get the camera he uses and I’ll use his for the class to make sure I love it. After I take that class I’ll take the plunge and get my camera!
  • ADVENTURE: Travel – In 2013 we traveled a lot and it was wonderful! I’d like to continue our travel adventures this year. Especially because I know in a couple years once we start a family our ability to travel as frequently will change quite a bit. So far we have plans to go to Houston (January), Charlotte (February), TBD Location for a Mini Spring Break (April), Orlando (May), Vail/Denver Colorado (May), 12 Mile Indiana (July), and Washington DC (November).
  • ORGANIZATION: Focus on Organization at Home – our space is wonderful but it’s small so keeping things orderly is critical. We normally achieve this with a major purge twice a year. It has been effective but it’s also exhausting. This year I’d like to try a more systematic approach. I found a 52 week challenge for home organization that tackles a small zone of the house each week. I don’t think we’ll be able to do one every week but I’d like to use it as a goal to break our organization maintenance into smaller more manageable pieces. I have one ambiguous goal that I felt was worth mentioning. 
I have yet to figure out the best way to measure it but it has been a spiritual and personal goal of mine for the past two years and I feel strongly committed to continuing it in 2014. I have been calling it Contented Spirit. It is a reminder to be thankful for all the blessings in my life, to be more active in pursuing my faith, to fight the urge to constantly compare to others, and to be actively engaged in the present moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment