Sunday, June 22, 2014

Vail, CO

Vail is best known for being a ski town but I’m glad we went in the summer since we don’t ski.  I also always prefer warm weather to cold weather so Colorado in the summer was a much better fit for me.  It’s a really cute and quaint mountain town.  The streets are cobblestone and lined with shops and restaurants.  At the entrance to the town there is a beautiful covered bridge above the Gore river which runs through the town.  You can tell a lot of money was invested in the town since there were several beautiful sculptures and water features throughout the town.  

I loved exploring the art galleries and shops.  I found an artist that one day I’d like to own one of his pieces of art.  His name is Houston Llew and interestingly enough he is from Atlanta.  He uses copped and glass to make limited sets of art with an image on the front and a quote on the sides.  They are small but beautiful and the hardest part will be choosing which one since he has over 50 for sale right now although Kyle and I were both drawn to one with an Emily Dickenson quote. 


Other memorable things from our time in Vail include the Betty Ford Alpine Garden, Bingo Night at the Red Lion Inn, and an amazing dinner at Mountain Standard.  We lucked out that most of the restaurants were running off season specials so we also had a lovely meal at an upscale French restaurant called La Tour. I had a lovely seafood bouillabaisse and asparagus with aioli and truffle oil.  



No comments:

Post a Comment