Sunday, June 22, 2014

Vail Valor Races

I have really enjoyed the races we've done so far this year so when I saw a Memorial Day race in Vail while we were there I signed us up.  I was excited when my parents agreed to join in as well.  We decided due to the elevation and the fact that it was vacation that we’d stick to the family fun run.  We got to write who we were running for on Memorial Day and it was powerful to see all the names up on the board.  I named my grandfather from my dad’s side of the family.  He was a colonel in the air force and passed away when I was 7.  I didn't know him very well since he passed when I was younger but I always admired and respected him and have heard lots of wonderful stories from my family.  It was the only military funeral I've been to and I was very struck by how many people from the air force were there and were part of the service.  I am very thankful for the people who sacrifice their own safety to help preserve the freedoms we experience here in the US. 

The races itself was fun but the elevation did affect me more than I thought it would so we ended up walking some of the race which was fine.  It was fun to share in the experience with my family and it’s a great memory we have together.  It also ended up being a fantastic deal because we got a T-Shirt, a finisher medal, and voucher tickets for their brunch even called Feast of Vail.  The Feast of Vail was a lot of fun.  They had live music and local restaurants with tents and tables serving small plates of food from their menu or in the style of their restaurant.  It helped us decide where to make dinner reservations and gave us a great chance to try a lot of the local restaurants.  









No comments:

Post a Comment