Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Pure Barre

In the spirit of my resolutions of being fitter, stronger, and more comfortable in my own skin I wanted to try something new with my workouts.  Despite considerable training and effort I still don’t love running and while Zumba is fun it’s not really helping me get stronger.  I was talking to some friends in December and they mentioned barre classes.  I had always wanted to try them since I grew up doing ballet barre all the time I figured it would be fun for me.  However I was really intimidated since when people talk about barre classes it normally goes something like this: “it’s wonderful but it’s really, really hard” or “it is torture but you’ll love it”.  You get the drift.  It makes it tough to take the plunge to sign up for the first class when you aren't sure you’ll come out alive.


I finally bit the bullet and signed up.  People were right.  It is really hard and a glamorous form of self-inflicted torture but I do really like it.  I love that the small movements start working really fast and seem to target all my problem areas.  I love fighting through my shaking muscles and finishing an exercise without having to stop or modify it.  I was crazy sore the next day but I've gone back a few times and while it’s still hard during the class the lingering soreness afterwards is more manageable.  I signed up for a new client special at Pure Barre where I get five weeks unlimited.  I have signed up for 4-5 classes a week each week.  I am really excited to see my strength and fitness levels at the end of the five weeks.  







1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I miss barre classes! I took some in Chicago and they were great. Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete