Sunday, October 20, 2013

Closet Edit

I found a great article with a 4 step process to editing your closet.  Living in a loft has helped cultivate my skills for regularly purging items to keep our space from getting cluttered.  We have really begun to master this with lots of the spaces in our house.  One place I have always struggled to keep streamlined and uncluttered is my closet.  I have emotional attachments to clothes based on where/when I wore them and I take pride in the deals I score so I often struggle to let go of clothes even after they are out of my rotation of items I actually wear regularly.  Over time I have gotten better at this but it’s still a more painful process for me then organizing other areas of the house. 

Step 1: Take it all out! This step was a true reminder of how much I had and how much potential I had to streamline.  It also made my house look like a disaster zone.  I’m thankful Kyle wasn’t home for this step because goodness gracious it was a mess.  I really should have taken a picture during this step but I was a bit overwhelmed by the mayhem that had become our bedroom and living room couch.  Step 1 involved categorizing into Keep, Donate, or Trash.  It also recommended that for special items with emotional significant that you fit them all into one box and store them so you don’t take up space in your closet but still have those sentimental items.  I took this advice and got a beautiful green box from the Container Store and put my bridesmaid dresses, rehearsal dinner dress, my veil, and my Georgette uniforms in it. 

Step 2: Put the keepers back!  Once you have decided what should stay then it suggests putting those items back in your closet organized by article type.  This was hard for me at first since previously I color coordinated my tops instead of grouping them by the type of shirt.  Once I went with the logic it started to make sense to me.  I much more frequently know what type of shirt I’d like to wear on a given day then what color.  On a chilly day I would want to wear a knit top and a blazer.  Within the article types I organized by color to satisfy my OCD tendencies and to make it easier to find certain pieces. 

NOTE: I got everything back in but was sad that I didn’t feel like I cut enough items to have a noticeable increase in the space in my closet.  I have gone back through quickly twice and pulled a couple more items to donate.  I hope to do this a few more times to further unclutter my closet and to make room for the purchased items from step 4.   







Step 3: Get inspired! This step was fun and helped me get through my backlog of fashion magazines that I hadn’t looked through yet.  It took me back to my middle and high school days clipping pictures out of magazines for a collage.  I cut out my favorite items that matched my personal style and a few pieces that pushed my boundaries to liven up my wardrobe.  I tend to stick to classic styles but like to try some of the trends each season although I try to get those items for a very reasonable price since they won’t be wardrobe staples that last multiple seasons. 



Step 4: Go shopping!  Let’s be honest, this is the most exciting step.  I made a list of 10 items I would love to add to my wardrobe.  I could have made a much longer list but I really do want to keep from cluttering my space and I don’t want to spend too much money on new items since I already have a closet full of keepers.  Another way I’m making this more fun is by hosting a clothing swap party, it’s a fun way to hang out with friends and shop for free.  Each person brings items they are no longer wearing or that don’t fit on hangers.  The evening begins by people viewing the items and trying them on while enjoying some libations and snacks.  Each person draws a number to see which order people will pick in.  Then people pick an item one at a time until the most coveted items are picked and then it opens up to a free for all for any of the remaining items.  It makes it more fun to donate items when you see them go to a new home where they will be enjoyed. 

Here are my 10 items for the fall and my progress in purchasing them:
  • Black & White Knit Skirt – Catherine by DesigNation at Kohl’s – will go on sale on 9/27
  •  Black & Brown Leather Boots
  • Satchel Purse (color block design if possible) in Neutral Colors (black, grey, tan, cream)
  • 3/4 Sleeve or Long Sleeve Maxi Dress
  • Crew neck Sweater (s)
  • Striped Blazer – purchased from Target Navy & Red Plaid for $30 – inspiration version was $118 from Banana Republic
  • Oxford Button Up Shirt (s) – purchased 2 from Old Navy for $30 (one light blue and one red floral) – inspiration version was from J. Crew
  • Brown Leather Jacket – purchased with a couple from Old Navy for $26 – inspiration version was $395 
  • Decorative/Glam Sweatshirt – purchased from Target for $15 – inspiration version was from TopShop
  • Skinny Jeans with Ankle Zipper – purchased from Gap for $35

No comments:

Post a Comment